After the American Civil War men would take to the road with a hoe in their hand, finding work along the way. They were called "hoe boys", and later, "hobos."
Source: The Great Depression. Episode 1. The History Channel.
- Biased Samples in Scientific Journals
- Inspiring Quote for Researchers
- A philosophical appeal to conservatism
- Choice and Kinetic Identity
- If only I were in charge...
- Quotations on Usury and Historic Christianity
- The Indifference Principle: Roman Style
- Costs of Education
- Intellectuals in Time
- Origin of Guilds
- Superstitious Farmers in the Early Middle Ages
- How the pagan gods of Germany was cut down, litera...
- Man's place in the universe...
- J. S. Mill: The father of liberty
- The Definition of Scholasticism
- Origin of the word "hobo"
- I learned something about Rousseau (related to pat...
- ▼ February (17)
- ► 2009 (71)