Some of the jobless never appeared on the relief rolls at all because they simply left the country. Thousands of immigrants forsook the fabled American land of promise and returned to their old countries. Some one hundred thousand American workers in 1931 applied for jobs in what appeared to be a newly promising land, Soviet Russia.—David M. Kennedy describing the Great Depression in Freedom From Fear. Chapter 6.
- Economic Harmonies by Bastiat
- If Paul Krugman is wrong...
- Why Mercantilism bothered Adam Smith
- If I was a military historian...
- In case my appraisal matters...
- Nations run like businesses
- No one is really religious anymore
- My collection of quotes is better than yours
- Take that, Department of Applied Economics
- Economic Models and Inequality
- Quote on Rent-Seeking and Corporate Tax Rates
- Should Student Loans Be Forgiven?
- Debt-Bondage, Ancient Rome, and the Incentives of ...
- Catherine the Great Convenes Her Empire
- Context-Dependent Preferences in Birds
- I was wrong about posting copyrighted videos
- If only we were still hunters and gatherers...
- Religion First, Then The Plow
- A World Without Conspicuous Consumption
- Two Quotes
- Copyrights Be Damned
- Utopia Documented
- Middle Ground Between Science and Religion
- Inside the mind of a saint
- Jonathan Haidt
- Conversation with my daughter
- Lit agents are ridiculous
- Origin of word "placebo" and placebo quotes
- Straight-A Students Need Not Apply
- The lies of children
- The "tinkering" metaphor
- The Art of Self-Deception
- College Subsidies
- Ayn Rand's Opposite
- Quotes about cities
- Maybe I do understand the EU
- Reasons why most people would call me insane
- I wonder how long...?
- How to be a political pundit
- Vitamins should be banned
- The most devoted medical researcher ever
- A Story of Creativity: how the stethoscope was inv...
- To train an economist...
- The Political Purpose of Debasing Profits
- The Final Destination of OWS
- A Forty Year Plan
- The Truth About Communal Living
- Is Utopia a vegan paradise?
- Thomas More's Utopia
- ▼ December (49)
- ► 2009 (71)