John Hunter is arguably the most devoted medical researcher that has ever existed. From childhood until his death he spent almost every day dissecting animals and cadavers, and when experiments on patients were impossible he experimental upon himself. These forays into the human anatomy were not class assignments in medical schools, but personal missions. But how is he the most devoted medical researcher ever?
Because his interest in syphilis, concomitant with his lack of patients to study patients, induced him to give him self syphilis. You read right: John Hunter gave himself syphilis so that he could study it. First he found a sailor with syphilis willing to give Hunter a sample of his penis discharge in exchange for a few pounds. Then Hunter scraped the tip of his penis raw with sandpaper and placed the sailor's discharge on it. Sure enough, he contracted syphilis, and spent the rest of his life documenting the symptoms.
Crazy? Yes. Extreme? Yes. Devoted to medical science? Absolutely.
Following John Hunter's example, I plan to study the effects of a fiscal stimulus by borrowing money from a Chinese friend and then paying my wife money to dig holes in the backyard. If this experiment doesn't increase my yearly income, I'll just assume that the stimulus wasn't big enough.
Sherwin B. Nuland
Doctors: The History of Scientific Medicine Revealed Through Biography
Lecture Six: Hunter, the Surgeon as Scientist.
The Great Courses.
- Economic Harmonies by Bastiat
- If Paul Krugman is wrong...
- Why Mercantilism bothered Adam Smith
- If I was a military historian...
- In case my appraisal matters...
- Nations run like businesses
- No one is really religious anymore
- My collection of quotes is better than yours
- Take that, Department of Applied Economics
- Economic Models and Inequality
- Quote on Rent-Seeking and Corporate Tax Rates
- Should Student Loans Be Forgiven?
- Debt-Bondage, Ancient Rome, and the Incentives of ...
- Catherine the Great Convenes Her Empire
- Context-Dependent Preferences in Birds
- I was wrong about posting copyrighted videos
- If only we were still hunters and gatherers...
- Religion First, Then The Plow
- A World Without Conspicuous Consumption
- Two Quotes
- Copyrights Be Damned
- Utopia Documented
- Middle Ground Between Science and Religion
- Inside the mind of a saint
- Jonathan Haidt
- Conversation with my daughter
- Lit agents are ridiculous
- Origin of word "placebo" and placebo quotes
- Straight-A Students Need Not Apply
- The lies of children
- The "tinkering" metaphor
- The Art of Self-Deception
- College Subsidies
- Ayn Rand's Opposite
- Quotes about cities
- Maybe I do understand the EU
- Reasons why most people would call me insane
- I wonder how long...?
- How to be a political pundit
- Vitamins should be banned
- The most devoted medical researcher ever
- A Story of Creativity: how the stethoscope was inv...
- To train an economist...
- The Political Purpose of Debasing Profits
- The Final Destination of OWS
- A Forty Year Plan
- The Truth About Communal Living
- Is Utopia a vegan paradise?
- Thomas More's Utopia
- ▼ December (49)
- ► 2009 (71)