A new report on education in the U.S. will undoubtedly cause some to lament the "fall and decline" of the U.S. and beg the nation to spend more in our schools. I only ask that we keep one consideration in mind. First, note the dominance of South Korea in education (chart below). Then read a recent article in The New Yorker about what South Korean children endure as they are pressured to out-perform each other (the government must even regulate the amount of tutoring children get). Finally, let us remind ourselves that the most important part of education is learning how to live a happy, meaningful life. That is a lesson South Korea has not learned. We should find a wiser educational system by which to compare ours.
- It is hard to feel special as a person in a univer...
- (IP) Why you should never try to pick stocks
- The Meaning of Life and It's Determinants
- The desire for philosopher-kings
- Great Intelligence Squared Debate About U.S. and C...
- More writers than readers
- How much education is optimal?
- The Essence of Anarchy
- Have you noticed?
- How science really works
- Independent Thinking, Helped
- Quote regarding alienated labor
- The Consequence of Karl Marx
- I just can't let this go...
- The Journal of Personality and Social Psychology i...
- College students don't learn anything
- Two contrasting views on property
- Plato's remarks about fiction
- I recommend watching "Fall of the Eagles"
- Excerpt from book review about economic growth
- Revising Plato's Ship
- Quote about Ph.D's and writing
- Lines from movie: Catherine the Great
- Two instances of altruism
- Why we coerce
- The Role of Activists and Information
- This guy doesn't understand prophecy (or, maybe I ...
- Meaning of Life: Hindu Perspective
- The March of Science
- What is intellectual progress (Cahoone quote)?
- What is philosophy (Cahoone quote)?
- The Meaning of Life (Prelude to thirty-six lectures)
- My Final Thoughts on Modern Philosophy
- Things People Never Say
- My place in the cosmos
- A Leap of Scientific Belief
- How Science Works, according to Thomas Kuhn...
- I do not accept the alternative, but I reject the ...
- Epistemic Holism
- Napoleon Bonaparte Quotes
- Conservatives in the Academia
- Importance of the Divine (and Stories) in Battle
- Ancient Seeds and Seed Banks
- Money and Happiness
- Fraud in Science
- The invention of logarithms
- The Death of Philosophy
- defending defending Bailey fffLLL
- testing testing Bailely testing
- Tips for Economic Arguments (Tip 1)
- ▼ March (53)
- ► 2009 (71)